Northern NJ Contractors Service and Install Hybrid Hot Water Heaters
Skilled technicians serving Morris, Essex, Union, and Somerset counties
If you are in the market for a new hot water heater, you want a product that is right for your home, your level of water usage, and your budget. Increasingly, consumers are turning to hybrid hot water heaters, so called because they alternately use a heat pump and electrical coils to warm the water in the tank. Hybrid hot water heaters are proven to have advantages over the traditional gas heater or even the tankless, electric heater. At Argent, our commitment to customer service motivates us to help you make the right choice. We only deal in high quality products that we have confidence in. We know the products we offer thoroughly, so we can provide all the information you need. And we provide expert installation to ensure you get peak performance from the product you choose.
How Heat Pump Water Heaters Work
If you live in New Jersey, you’re familiar with air conditioning. You know how a window AC unit takes in air, releases cooled air back into the home and sends hot air outdoors. A hybrid water heater uses a similar process to draw in warm air with a fan, extract the heat from it and release it cooled back into the basement. So where does the heat go? Into the tank of water, which the heat pump maintains at a consistently warm level.
But when your water usage is high and the unit refills with cold water, relying on the heat pump alone would take too long. That’s when the electric heat mechanism starts working, warming the water in the tank with electric coils. The units allow you to choose from a range of settings, which you can control with a touch screen or through wi-fi:
- Efficiency/Economy — On this setting, the unit will only use the heat pump to heat water.
- Auto/Hybrid — This default setting is designed for daily use, alternating between heat pump only and electric heating to maintain a consistent temperature
- Electric mode — During high-demand periods you can use this setting which keeps the electric running to reduce the chance that hot water might run out.
- Vacation setting — When you’re away from home, you can enjoy energy savings by letting your unit snooze.
If you are looking for energy savings and greater versatility, a heat pump water heater might be the right choice for you.
Advantages of a Hybrid Water Heater
The versatility of the heat pump water heater presents numerous advantages. They are energy efficient, so you will save on the cost of energy over a traditional gas or electric unit, and because the purchase and installation costs are not high, the unit can pay for itself within a couple of years. If you currently have a traditional hot water heater, a unit will easily fit within that space. Plus, a heat pump water heater also acts as a dehumidifier for your basement. If you’re concerned about dampness in the basement, and especially if you already run a dehumidifier down there, this could be a good option.
However, there are some disadvantages. The lifespan of a hybrid water heater is only about 10 years, which is less than other types of water heaters. Finally, these units produce best results in areas without severe winters. Given our NJ winters, you might not get the level of cost savings you get in a warmer climate.
Quality Hybrid Electric Heat Pump Water Heaters from leading manufacturers
At Argent, we only deal in the highest quality products for your customers. Two reputable manufacturers that we recommend are:
- Bradford White — This American manufacturer is known for reliability, energy-efficiency,and innovative design, and boasts that their products are “built to be the best.” Their AeroTherm® Series Heat Pump Water Heater comes in 50 and 80-gallon capacities and install easily anywhere a traditional heater has lived. It has the four operating modes discussed above, is easy to operate, and runs quietly. The unit is Energy Star® certified for efficiency.
- Rheem — This California manufacturer has been turning out quality products since 1925. Their Professional Prestige line of Hybrid Electric Water Heaters come in 50, 65 and 80-gallon capacities. The company website calls Prestige “the most efficient water heater available – with up to $5,000 in lifetime savings and less than 2 year payback.” These units have five operating modes. Users can control the unit with wi-fi and a smartphone app. These units are Energy Star® rated for efficiency.
When you meet with one of our knowledgeable representatives, we can answer all of your questions and perhaps raise a few points you haven’t considered. Our goal is to help you choose the best hot water heater for your home so you can be comfortable and secure for years to come.
Contact our HVAC professionals serving Morris, Essex, Union, and Somerset Counties
An experienced HVAC technician can help you choose the right hot water heating system for your home. If a hybrid system is right for you, we’ll help you find the right unit and we’ll install it quickly and correctly. Call us at 908-286-1920 to speak with an Argent Plumbing technician about your home’s heating.